Archives

Links

Blog Ver. 2.0


Powered by Blogger

Mythological Stranger's Blog
Thursday, June 23, 2005
The Nature of Humanity
There are many popular view on the nature of humanity, so I thought maybe I'd offer up a few of them and my analysis of each one. Some of these points of view are secular, but most are obviuosly religious in basis.

1. Humanity is Basically Good (Good for the sake of being good.)
This is the most basic (and naive) viewpoint of the ones I'll list. It means exactly what it sounds like it means. That, given the choice, the majority of humanity would do what was right reguardless of consequences or punishments. I'm inclined not to believe this one, in large part because anyone who's lived in the real world is far too cynical to believe such sentiments.

2. Humanity has a Sin Nature (Good of their own desire.)
This is the christian perspective (along with that of the majority of other organized religions). It basically says that humans have a wicked nature they must strive against, but that the majority will be good for the sake of not being evil. I come closer to believing this one because I am Christian... but I think there is one aspect of it I disagree with, as I'll explain below.

3. Humanity is Fearful (Good for fear of punishment.)
This is the one of the three basic beliefs I believe the most. I'm not sure if I was the first to say it, but it is my belief that the majority of humanity is only good because they fear the consequences of being evil. Even the majority of Christians are (unfortunately) guilty of living under this belief. They claim they are following one of the first 2, but in truth it's a fear of the consequences of not being good that drives the majority of them (and the rest of humanity for that reason) to do what is right.

I'm not sure what inspired me to offer up this analysis... I guess recent events in the lives of those around me had me thinking about whether humans were really capable of altruism. Which, after I dismissed altruism as a dream, started me thinking about why good deeds were done in the rare instance where there was seemingly nothing to be gained by it. So... I know this was a pointless post, but it had been a while since my last one so I thought I'd put it up.

Always have a line to go out on.

~MS

"Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think."
~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Comments:
great view point....i really appreicate that!
 
Thanks for the comment Strangers' Inc.
 
Post a Comment