Archives

Links

Blog Ver. 2.0


Powered by Blogger

Mythological Stranger's Blog
Thursday, December 02, 2004
"Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money."
Okay to start off with, that's a quote by Robin Williams.... I know I usually only put quotes at the end, but don't be scared there's still a real thinker down there for your pleasure. Plus that ones really funny. XD

I think for a change I'll go back to my first entry and try to actually speak my piece on some world issue. Or at LEAST something beyond my own thoughts, which have so dominated my last few entries.

Which issue, you might ask? How about.... the value of meditation. Yes, there's something I can honestly say goes beyond my own thoughts. Or at least goes into other people's as well. I've been a practicioner of zazen meditation (a Buddhist practice, usually; even though I am most decidedly christian) for about 2 years now, and I can honestly say there is NOTHING better than the introspection a hour or so of good meditation can give you. The perspective on your own life you gain is more astounding than even the amount of tranquility you feel when you're done.

Okay so I've told you how good I think it is. Try it for yourself. I'ma go ahead and give a (VERY) basic walkthrough on how you could get started, if the urge strikes you to give it a shot. If you don't wanna know, just scroll down to me cool quote at the end, and have a nice day XD.

In Zazen, you have no goals. You can sit anywhere, but a place with few distractions would be good for beginners. Don't look at anything in particular - just emptiness, no need to focus or concentrate on anything.

You should relax your breathing. Don't manage it, let it happen. In your relaxation, it will become natural. Let your body remain motionless. You can sit on a pillow or use a bench, whatever helps, but once you settle, remain immobile, because if the body doesn't move the mind will gradually fall silent.

When you practice Zazen, do not try to stop your thinking. Let it stop by itself. If something comes to your mind, let it come in, and let it go out. It will not stay long, unless you attach to it.

When you try to stop your thinking, it means you're bothered by it. In Zazen, do not be bothered by anything. It may take quite a while before you find your calm, serene mind in this practice. Many sensations come, many thoughts and images arise, but they are just waves of your own mind.

Usually we think of our mind as receiving impressions and experiences from outside, but that is not a true understanding. Actually, our mind includes everything. Nothing outside yourself can cause any trouble. You yourself make the waves in your mind. If you leave your mind as it is, it will become calm. After a few days of practice, you will enjoy it tremendously. You will see layer upon layer start to drop.

Well.... I hope you enjoy your meditation... After my third attempt at it, I was hooked.


" Only in quiet waters do thing mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world"
~H
ans Margolius



Comments:
Hi Eric! :) B.b here, u responded to my blog a little while ago. So just wanted to say thanks for the reassurance. Much appreciated! And in response to your blog, I had read an article on "Becoming the Character in Asian-in Body Disciplines" by Zarilli. I remembered it when I read ur blog. Sounds like u're really into meditation, coolies! Best, B.b
 
Post a Comment